Monday, June 1, 2015

Do people really have to know about Cognitive Bias?

Last few weeks Troy had given us this artical about "The 12 cognitive biases that prevent you from being rational" if you want to know more about it the link is here http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-common-cognitive-biases-that-prevent-you-from-being-rational

As a group we get  to come up with a conclusion about the three bias which each group has all three different bias. My group got the Status-Quo Bias, Negativity Bias and the Bandwagon effect. I personally interested about the Negativity Bias because this bias people these days tend to not know that they are this kind of person compare to the two bias Status-Quo Bias and the Bandwagon effect we all know about it. So, that's why I chose the Negativity Bias.

    The Negativity Bias is about the person who gives more value to negativity. People tend to focus more on negativie things/news rather than positive ones. We perceive negative news as being more important or profound. The negative out weights the positive. As we can see our world is a better place to stay than the pass but people always argue that things are getting worse because they pay more attention to all the bad things, finding ways to solve issues rather than to see how comfortable people can be now. 

  The people who has this Negativity bias seems to be my parents I suppose. My parents always see the world as a bad place people outside are cruel and dangerous. They are too paranoid when I'm out of their sight which could make me feel very annoyed. I have a plan on participating in an exchange program in Thailand. I thought my parents would be proud and happy for me instead they are too paranoid and think I may get lost or I will be abducted or something. Maybe things is not as bad as we see it's okay to becareful but we also have to be optimistic too. 

     In summary, we all have bias about things in our life. Some we know about it some we don't so, sometimes people can be irrational and end up in a bad way. I think Cognitive Bias is a very important thing for all of us to know about it espcially my parents which they still don't listen to me. Anyway I think it's good to know about it and it could help us to be more reasonable in every choice we make. 

3 comments:

  1. So from what I have read , it means that people are focusing more on negative things, do you think it is a bad idea or not? And do you know why people have this kind bias , because everything has it own reason for being so I'm really eager to know what facts that make people have those kind of bias that make them focus more on negative things. You have a really clear example of the negativity bias that made me understand clearly how this bias works and I really agree that people should know and be aware of the biases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's kind of a bad thing for people to focus more on negativity... People should be more optimistic... Our world can be a happy place as well.

      Delete
    2. people have this kind of bias because negativity can seem to be an interesting thing Also there want to protect them self from bad things, to be more aware. Trying to fix bad things to be better. It's okay to have this bias but we also have to be optimistic as well

      Delete